Monday, March 10, 2008

Skype... It's an absolute gift!

I am living in the Netherlands, but I am actually Irish (Dublin born and bred). I am married to a Dutch man.

I was spending an absolute fortune ringing home (yes I still call Ireland home, no matter where I am in the world, Ireland will always be home). I had been told about skype so many times, but I just never got around to getting it.

I am so glad that I did. I save an absolute fortune. All you need is a microphone and speaker set, they range from cheap (0.99) for a basic earphone and headset microphone, to the 100's. Depending on what you want to use skype for, should determine what kind of equipment you get.

Skype to skype calls are free. So basically if you are in the UK you can call anyone you know who also has a skype connection, whether they are your neighbor or a cousin who has emigrated to Australia. You can also instant message with the people you are talking to, or to someone who is on another call. One of the best features (well this is my opinion) is the conference call facility, I have often been chatting to my mom and sisters for hours, all together. It's truly a great feature!!

You can also call anyone who does not have a skype connection for a very low cost to their landline. Usually for the 0.01 per minute. You can send text messages, you can also call mobile/cell phones, but this does cost quiet a bit more, usually 0.24 per minute.

So all in all skype is well worth opening an account with. I would seriously recommend it. Just type skype into your search engine, or got to www.skype.com It's free and one of the best ways to connect with your friends, family and business contacts

No comments: